School Improvement Grant (SIG) Timeline
• State applications approved: Mar. 17, 2011
• Applications emailed to districts with Tier I and II schools: Mar. 18, 2011
• Live Meeting for application and grant requirements for districts with Tier I and II schools: Mar. 24, 2011- 3:00 CT
• Letter of intent due back to SD DOE for districts with Tier I and II schools: Mar. 25, 2011
• Tier III applications emailed to applicable districts (Mar. 29, 2011)
• Live Meeting for application and grant requirements for districts with Tier III schools (April 6, 2011)
• Technical Assistances provided (upon request)
• Applications due (45 days): May 2, 2011
• Review of applications
• SD DOE provides assistance to Districts to ensure all requirements are fully met
• Award announcement (within 3 weeks of submission date): May 23, 2011
• Pre-implementation activities immediately upon receiving the grant, but no later than the July 1, 2011.
According to OMB Circular A-87 Attachment B,#19 [the salary and fringe benefits of a district administrator (superintendent) cannot be charged to federal grants even if the administrator is providing title or special education support and is appropriately licensed]. The guidance is a little different as far as principals or assistant principals: Salaries for principals and assistant principals may not be charged to the federal grant; however, if an individual is employed as a part-time principal and part-time federal grants coordinator, the part-time federal grants position may be funded with federal grant monies. The individual must document the work with personnel activity reports as required by OMB circular A-87.
Contact Kris Harms
, (605)773-6509, with any questions.