Department of Education Headlines
- Student growth rating for teachers based on learning objectives
The state’s new model evaluation system for teachers relies on student learning objectives, or SLOs, to measure student growth.
- State considers changes to accountability system
South Dakota is considering changes to its new accountability system. Those changes were introduced at a state Board of Education meeting Nov. 18 in Pierre.
- Loan deferment or forgiveness possible in teacher shortage areas
The U.S. Department of Education has designated teacher shortage areas for the 2013-14 school year.
- Davis-Bahcall Scholars Program now accepting applications
Davis-Bahcall Scholars will have the chance to spend four to five weeks of their summer exploring the world of modern scientific research at some of the nation’s leading laboratories and universities.
- WoLakota Project website now live
The WoLakota Project is a partnership of TIE and the South Dakota Department of Education, supporting students in high-need schools, pairing trained mentor-teachers with new teachers and providing Courage to Teach circles to tend to the “hearts” of each.
- Technology grant program accepting applications from pre-K-12 teachers
The CenturyLink Teachers and Technology grant program will award a total of $7,500 to South Dakota teachers with ideas for using technology to engage students.