Training on new social studies standards to start in October
*Updated Nov. 19
With the recent adoption of new social studies standards, the Department of Education is offering trainings throughout the 2015-16 school year. Teaching to the standards is to begin in the 2016-17 school year.
Awareness trainings will provide an overview of the standards, background in the C3 Framework, inquiry in the classroom, the disaggregated templates and connections to the Oceti Sakowin Essential Understandings. These free trainings will be held statewide. Two self-paced online versions of these trainings are also scheduled. Find registration links for these courses below, or find them at GoSignMeUp.com by searching the term “social studies.”
Free in-person regional courses (6-8 contact hours towards recertification) (Wait lists only)
1. Aberdeen (Northern State University)
– Oct. 28, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. CDT
2. Sioux Falls (Southeast Technical Institute)
– Oct. 29, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. CDT
3. Yankton (Kelly Inn) – Oct. 30, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. CDT
4. Rapid City (Western Dakota Tech) – Nov. 19, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. MST
Free online courses (8 contact hours towards recertification)
1. Online Course Section 1 – Nov. 1-14, self-paced
2. Online Course Section 2 – Nov. 15-30, self-paced
Other opportunities will include in-depth online trainings in early spring 2016, which will build upon material from the fall trainings. These in-depth trainings will cover a longer time frame (a few months) as well as more specific material and engagement related to implementation. More details about these trainings will be sent out at a later date.
Contact Sam Shaw, South Dakota Department of Education, at (605) 773-5229 with questions.